Just like the fashion industry, the bridal industry has two fashion weeks each year. The first week is in April, and the second (and wildly more popular!) week is in October. Each showing represents a different season, and over the past week I’ve been following along as the fall 2017 collections have been revealed in New York City! I very much feel that you should wear exactly what makes you feel the most like you on your wedding day, but it’s also so fun to see new trends emerge from the world’s best designers. From sequins to spaghetti straps, off-the-shoulder looks to lace (a forever favorite) below I’m detailing my top 10 trends from bridal market! Is there a better way to spend a Friday? I don’t think so!
1. Bows: This dress by Viktor and Rolf’s debut collection has been all over Instagram, but there’s a very clear reason why. Those bows are incredible, friends! I love how the dress feels as though it’s current, yet it would also be considered a classic 25 years from now.
2. Color: Grey, pink, green – it seems as though each and every soft shade was represented! I particularly loved Hayley Paige’s latest collection for her use of color and also because she turned to sequin details for an added pop.
3. Cut Outs: Lela Rose’s gowns are always completely feminine, and this dress with it’s beautiful use of shape and perfectly placed cutouts (they’re far from revealing!) caught my eye right away. I love how the dress combines different textures, and I can absolutely see it at a modern soiree in Philadelphia (is anyone getting married at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts?).
4. Lace Details: Lace will forever be in style and in season, especially when the wedding dress is designed by none other than Oscar de la Renta!
5. Revealing Backs: I love how Monique Lhuillier introduced the latest trend, open backs, into this dress from her latest collection. The back closure feels fun and cool, but the dress still has a completely elegant feel with the floral appliques and cascading tulle.
6. Capes: There are quite a few designers introducing capes this season, and I like the look! I feel like a cape is perfect for a bride who wants to have the look of a veil without actually wearing one. By adding a cape, this Sareh Nouri dress has the potential to transition from fashion forward ceremony gown to classic reception style effortlessly.
7. Off the Shoulder: Off the shoulder gowns are definitely having a moment, and I love how this Marchesa gown features the trend along with the latest loose fitting sleeve trend. It’s also very safe to say you can truly never go wrong with Marchesa! Marchesa’s designs can be found at La Belle Mariée Bridal, located in Langhorne.
8. Spaghetti Straps: Very few gowns shown during Bridal Fashion Week have been strapless. Instead, spaghetti straps are on their way back! This look was designed by Ivy & Aster, which you can find at Lovely Bride Philly.
9. Minimalist Style: Contrary to each and every style I’ve already mentioned, minimalist bridal dresses are also very popular! I loved the racer back on this beautiful gown by Carol Hannah (another designer sold at Lovely Bride Philly!). If her name sounds familiar it may be because you remember seeing Carol Hannah on Project Runway.
10. Metallic: Silver, gold, copper – metallic shades are everywhere, including bridal fashion. This look by Lazaro is I love the carefully placed silver metallic appliques, and his collection is definitely worth a peek overall (there’s sequins!).
Which wedding dress trend are you most excited to see (or wear!) in 2017? Let me know in the comments.