With all the different pieces of Philadelphia custom wedding stationery you’ll need to have designed, you might find yourself wondering what’s really necessary. That’s a question I get from couples all the time: do we really need this?
Some stuff is optional, but a program is something you definitely need if you’re having a wedding with a guest list larger than 50 people. They’re helpful if:
- There are guests who aren’t familiar with the bridal party,
- You’re having a religious ceremony that will be attended by guests who don’t share your faith,
- You’re planning a longer ceremony,
- You have people you want to thank, a story to share, or a loved one’s passing you want to commemorate.
Programs can consist of any of the following elements:
- The cover includes the date, the names of the couple, and the location and time of the ceremony.
- Members of the wedding party are usually listed inside, along with the parents of the bride and groom, the officiant, and any readers that will be participating in the ceremony.
- An explanation of any ceremony elements that guests may not understand, such as religious traditions or rituals.
- Special requests from the bride and groom, such as requests for audience participation. The program is also a great place to remind guests if you’ve decided to have an unplugged wedding, and request that they not use cameras or cell phones.
- Bios for the bridesmaids and groomsmen–one or two sentences should be sufficient.
- Explanations of the significance of certain elements of the wedding that guests may not understand. If your wedding’s location, your first dance song, the theme, etc. has some significance to you as a couple, programs are the way for you to inform your guests about it.
- Memorials honoring a deceased family member or loved one who you wish could be in attendance.
- Poems or quotes about love that you think are pertinent.
- Directions to the reception venue.
Wedding programs are your guests’ guide to your wedding ceremony. They’ll help them understand what’s going on, who everyone is, and it will make them feel more included in the proceedings. That should be reason enough to include programs in your day-of stationery.
2 responses to “The Program: An Essential Piece Of Philadelphia Custom Wedding Stationery”